colorful painting on blue wall with furniture all around
Coverage C: The Best Way to Keep Your Property Protected

Every house has furniture, clothes, and a refrigerator. That's one of the main reasons we buy houses, so we have somewhere to put all our purchases. Lucky for you, the home insurance policy protects both your home and your valuables. 

But what part of your homeowners policy protects your personal belongings? 

Coverage C: Personal Property

The average home insurance claim is over $10,000, so you want to make sure you're belongings and furniture are fully protected. Your personal property will fall under Coverage C in your home insurance policy. Everyone has a different level of coverage, so check your declarations page to see how much Coverage C you have on your policy.

What is "Personal Property"

To fully understand what Coverage C protects, you need to know how your home insurance company defines personal property:

Imagine picking up your home, turning it upside down, and shaking it all around. Aside from terrifying the neighbors, you will also find a lot of your furniture and belongings will fall out. Everything that ends up on the ground is your personal property and is categorized under "Coverage C: Personal Property" in your homeowners policy.

Chris Pratt Reaction GIF by sahlooter

How are your belongings covered? 

Usually, your Coverage C limit is 50% and 70% percent of your dwelling's value. If you have $300,000 in coverage for your home, you will often get $150,000 - $210,000 in coverage on your personal belongings. This sounds like a lot, right? WRONG. Most people underestimate how much property they have in their homes by 50%. If you are not sure, it's best to follow your agent's suggestion in case the worst does happen. 

What are the special sub-limits? 

Unfortunately, there are limits to what is protected by Coverage C. There are usually 13-15 categories with sub-limits in each homeowners policy. The most common sub-limits are:

home insurance coverage C special limits

If you want more coverage for any of these categories, you should look at extending coverage on a specific group or schedule items over $5,000 (like an engagement ring or expensive jewelry). If you have fine art in your house destroyed by a fire, you may find yourself with one less Picasso on the other side. 

When scheduling high-value items, the insurance company will ask for receipts or a recent appraisal before insuring the item if it is over $10,000. 

Actual Cash Value (ACV) vs. Replacement Costs?

Always ask if your personal property is covered at actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost. At Young Alfred, we always quote home insurance policies with Personal Property Replacement Cost included. In short, you should still be insuring your belongings at replacement cost.

ACV will be the cheaper option, but with that comes a risk. In a claims situation, your reimbursement will only cover the remaining value of your items rather than the cost to replace them. Imagine you own a mattress you paid $1000 for, and after five years, it gets destroyed by a fire. Under ACV, the insurance company will say that it only had five years of life left and would only give you $500 for a new mattress.

No one buys half a mattress.

Replacement cost would provide enough coverage for a brand new mattress: $1,000. Replacement cost coverage gives you enough to replace the item new vs. at a used value equivalent (think of shopping at Ikea vs. Craigslist).

Don't Misfire 

Just like any other part of the home policy, there is a deductible you'll need to pay out first. That's why it's always best only to file a claim when the damage is enough to justify paying out the deductible. A $1,000 claim is never in your best interest to file. As a rule of thumb, don't file a claim unless it is more than 2x-3x your deductible and ONLY if it is a covered loss

I hope that helps you understand how to protect your personal property!

At your service,
Young Alfred