Foremost Home Insurance Review
Foremost is a national specialty insurance carrier operating in all 50 states. Foremost insurance is best known for offering insurance on the following types of properties:
- dwelling fire policies - DP3 vs. DP1
- rental homes or landlord properties
- vacant homes
- mobile or manufactured homes
- modular homes
- actual cash value coverage
Foremost has a non-standard auto carrier called Bristol West, which can cover auto liability for drivers with problematic driving records. Foremost and Bristol West sit under the Farmers Insurance Group umbrella -- founded in Los Angeles in 1928.
Foremost Mobile Home Insurance
Foremost Mobile Home Policies include:
- Comprehensive Coverage - which covers the below perils:
- Optional Replacement Cost - covers property at replacement cost instead of actual cash value.
- Agreed Loss Settlement - if a covered peril above destroys your home, you get the coverage limit listed on your declarations page for your home, minus the deductible.
- Liability Coverage - if someone files a lawsuit against you for something that happens on your property or your negligence.
Foremost also offers add-ons such as:
- Additional Living Expenses - if you need to live somewhere else while your home is under repair.
- Trees, Shrubs, Plants, and Lawns
- Debris Removal - surprisingly expensive to remove a fallen tree
- Emergency Removal/Repair Services
- Credit Card and Check Forgery
- Fire Department Service
- Food Spoilage Coverage
Foremost Vacant Home Insurance
The DP1 is a bare-bones insurance policy. It provides the minimum coverage for vacant property and is a named perils policy. Named perils is another way to say the plan only offers coverage for eight basic perils.
- Wind & Hail
- Aircraft, Vehicles hitting the house
- Riot, Looting, & Vandalism
- Volcanic Eruption
You do not have coverage if the cause of damage is outside of the named perils listed above.
DP1 policies tend to be written at Actual Cash Value (ACV). Actual cash value means that if you have a claim on your house, the claim payout will match the used value of the property destroyed, not the replacement cost or brand new value. In a claims situation, you only get a check for the ACV coverage amount on the policy -- which may be less than the cost to rebuild your house.
Foremost Landlord Home Insurance
This DP3 policy covers houses from single to multi-family that function as rental properties (excluding apartment complexes). The DP3 is the policy for anyone who rents out a property and covers the building's structure and rental income from the property. A DP3 policy does not cover the renter's belongings.
If you own a duplex, triplex, or quadplex and live in one of the units while renting out the others, then you will sometimes need a DP3 as well to protect the areas of the home not inhabited by the owner.
Foremost is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best. They are financially stable and connected to the Farmers Insurance umbrella.
Where is Foremost Available
To file a claim with Foremost, policyholders can:
- File a claim online
- Call the claims hotline: 1-800-527-3907
Claims are always a contentious subject, and a lot of the confusion and frustration in claims originates from misunderstanding what a policy covers. Do your best to understand what your plan includes upfront, so you are not surprised down the road. As with some older insurance carriers, Foremost is known to be slower at processing/paying out claims.
Foremost insurance reviews have been mixed, mainly around the claims experience. However, if you are looking to insure a specialty property: mobile home, rental property, and vacant properties - they are often the best value! Foremost is financially stable and an expert in their domain of property insurance products.
Check your Foremost home insurance quotes and so much more:
At your service,
Disclosure: Foremost is one of the many options Young Alfred offers for home insurance. Young Alfred did not receive any compensation or direction from Foremost in writing this review.