The Top 25 Safest Cities to Own a Home in 2020
When it comes to buying a new home, there are a lot of things to consider. One of the most important questions to ask is whether or not the city you are looking to move to is considered safe. It’s essential to feel safe in your own home, and so it’s valid to look into the crime rates before you make a move.
If dealing with moving and packing is enough of a headache for you, then we’ve got you covered. We’ve put together a list of the top 25 safest cities to own a home in 2020. We’ll dive into each cities crime rate, but we also took into consideration the likelihood of a natural disaster striking your home.
Without further ado, we present to you our list of the top 25 safest cities to own a home in 2020:
- Portland, Maine - The place that created the doughnut hole, no one is too cool for Portland. In addition to doughnut holes, Portland had only 127 reported violent crimes per 100,000 people in 2017 (the national average is closer to 400 per 100,000).
- Manchester, New Hampshire - For being the largest city in New Hampshire, Manchester is doing well on the crime front, with only 265 reported violent crimes per 100,000 people in 2017.
- Worcester, Massachusetts - Also known as the Heart of the Commonwealth, Worcester is a very safe place to live with a crime rate of about 360 per 100,000 people.
- Boise, Idaho - In Boise, it’s illegal to ride a merry-go-round on Sundays. Maybe that’s why their crime rate has not passed 300 violent crimes per 100,000 people in the last 13 years!
- Providence, Rhode Island - Other than the fact that Providence is home to what’s referred to as “America’s Most Haunted Hotel,” the crime rate is meager at 294 per 100,000 people.
- Lakeland, Florida - With a population of just over 100,000 people, Lakeland only reported 285 violent crimes in 2017.
- Santa Barbara, California - Frequently used for film sets, Santa Barbara has a shallow crime rate at 340 per 100,000.
- Santa Rosa, California - Santa Rosa is the largest city in California wine country and has an average crime rate of 400 per 100,000.
- Boston, Massachusetts - Home to the very first chocolate factory in America, Boston is considered a very safe city reporting 305 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
- Albany, New York - The discovery of modern-day toilet paper came from Albany. This small town in upstate New York only had 291 reported violent crimes per 100,000 people.
- Madison, Wisconsin - Madison is the Swiss Cheese Capital of the World, and if that doesn’t want to make you live there, maybe its low crime rate will. The city reported 374 violent crimes per 100,000 people in 2017.
- San Diego, California - In a city that fines people who leave their Christmas lights hanging past February 2, the crime rate is very low, with only 337 per 100,000.
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania - Lancaster Pennsylvania is known for its dense Amish population; maybe this is why the crime rate is so low at 207 per 100,000.
- El Paso, Texas - For a city that used to be known as the Six Shooter, El Paso has a low crime rate at 356 per 100,000.
- New York City, New York - In a city with over 8 million people and nearly 62 million tourists each year, you might expect a higher crime rate. However, New York City is very safe, with only 329 violent crimes per 100,000 people. (or maybe there are just a lot of people)
- Brownsville, Texas - Brownsville used to be a port for smuggling in Mexican goods; however, it is now one of the safest American cities with 312 crimes per 100,000 people.
- Grand Rapids, Michigan - Also known as the “Furniture City,” Grand Rapids is very safe and only reported 324 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
- Port St. Lucie, Florida - You can enjoy fresh, delicious pineapples and live in this very safe city with only 233 per 100,000.
- Portland, Oregon - The name Portland was named on a coin toss. Heads or tails will still tell you that Portland is a very safe city with only 283 crimes per 100,000 people.
- Fayetteville, Arkansas - Fayetteville is the highest rated biking city in all of Arkansas. The crime rate in this spinning town? 375 per 100,000.
- San Jose, California - San Jose used to be home to California’s largest Mercury mine. Now it prides itself on being one of the safest cities in the state and country with only 308 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
- Reading, Pennsylvania - You can enjoy a delicious pretzel in Reading, Pennsylvania, and know that you’re safe. This city has a crime rate of 259 per 100,000 people.
- Austin, Texas - Aside from having the most significant urban bat colony in all of North America, Austin is considered a very safe city with only 306 crimes per 100,000 people.
- Allentown, Pennsylvania - Learn about American History at the Lehigh Valley Heritage Museum in Allentown. In this vibrant historical town, there is a crime rate of 237 per 100,000.
- Seattle, Washington - Seattle is home to the very first Starbucks. You can live very safely in the city that changed the world of coffee forever. The crime rate is only 353 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
Keep in mind that the national crime rate is declining. In each of these cities, you’re very unlikely to experience any violent or property crime because each of their crime rates is well below the national average. Pick your favorite city from this list and get moving!
At your service,